Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: a tale of two drawings

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Genetic Disposition's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2004
    Posts
    666
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have shown most of you guys a drawing I completed several months ago... remember I wanted to name it after a city that also sounded like a disease? I was never really happy with any title, and subsequently I gave it the temporary title Vein River. Here it is again:

    veinriver

    At any rate, I decided to work on it some more. I really wanted to exploit the distortions in the leftmost pattern, and make it a bit denser over all. I also found a better city to name it after too - Falluja

    Anyways, here is the drawing in its final form:

    falluja

    Since I have high quality 1:1 scans of both drawings, and it is big (about 2 1/2 feet by 5 feet long), I was thinking about making them into silkscreens or something. I like both versions, but I think they may need to be seen together.

    Waddaya think?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member baimun's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2001
    Posts
    6,345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love the top version.

    There's already some chaotic patterns flowing around so the grainy version kinda loses your eye. Particularly I love the shiny organic shape behind the pattern.

    I'd like to see that element in color and the rest in black and white. something subtle like navy blue or dark burgundy.

    [img]smile.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member baimun's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2001
    Posts
    6,345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Because of the way that shape integrates into the other patterns, it could almost blend...

    vein2

    Like here I just merged in a blurry brick pattern to the line. What do you think?

    It's a super cool line drawing.... once I saw how the organic shape in the back merged into the smaller pattern it really got me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ July 23, 2004 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Baimun ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Genetic Disposition's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2004
    Posts
    666
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yeah... for the silkscreens, I was thinking about doing them in color... or maybe on shiney plexiglass. Or both. I actually prefer the bottom version, at least on the original drawing... this scan seems a bit off.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member baimun's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2001
    Posts
    6,345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In the scans it looks like the bottom one is just grainier.

    Actually, if you use a silk screen and do the top pattern, the bottom one is what it will look like after going through the screen.

    If you use the bottom one, some of the fine dots might get missed altogether.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Genetic Disposition's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2004
    Posts
    666
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    bothversions

    Here's both drawings together in one consistant scan.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sculpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    8,165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I like the top version best. And it does look like an aerial view of an old city of simple buildings. The name Fallujah works really well.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member The Cheshire Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow... [img]eek.gif[/img]

    that's pretty cool! Like the others, I like the top better, but only because I'm not a fan of the chaos that's going on in the second pic topleft corner...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •